What goes around in your mind when you see someone who is especially gifted and capable (plus, they’re spiritual and humble)? Or they have a position you’d like to have? Do you feel like slinking away? I often do!
When you see other women with more personality or friends than you, do you think, I’m not as popular or attractive as them—but I wish I was? Sometimes!
Being human, we all struggle at times with the Comparison Syndrome.
- We compare ourselves with others—their accomplishments, abilities, position in life
- We compare our spouses
- We compare our children
- We compare our business or career or ministry with others
What’s the effect? We poison our own souls.
- Comparisons can produce PRIDE. It can puff us up, produce a big ego, lead to arrogance and believing we’re better than others.
- Comparisons can fuel an unhealthy need to PROVE to ourselves and others that “I’m as good as you are.”
- Comparisons can chain us to a POOR ME attitude where we battle feelings of failure, inferiority and shame.
What’s behind the Comparison Syndrome?
We’re looking for something only God can give us: A sense of significance, purpose, meaning, and worth. We crave an inner assurance that we matter. That we have value. That Someone cares.
What will satisfy our souls? Knowing and being rooted in what Scripture says:
- We were created by Him and for Him. Col.1:16.
- We were and are continually saved not on the basis of what we do but because of His mercy that never ends. Titus 3:4-5
You matter to God. This is what feeds our human craving for significance, purpose, meaning and worth.
Want to stop the Comparison Syndrome? Saturate your soul in God’s love.
POPPY SMITH helps audiences across the country and around the world to cultivate a more dynamic walk with God. She is a former Bible Study Fellowship teaching leader and has a Master’s degree in Spiritual Formation and Direction. She has spoken across the United States, in Australia, New Zealand and the U.K., as well as several countries in Africa and Asia.
FIND OUT HOW TO HAVE POPPY SMITH SPEAK FOR YOU EVENT … CLICK HERE.